Tell us about Power Transition
Our smart software platform provides state-of-the-art cybersecurity and access to data, empowering organisations and people to take control of their energy, cutting costs and enabling the rapid transition to a zero-carbon economy.
- We have developed a revolutionary energy resource management platform for decentralised energy and use Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) for decentralised applications such as Energy Tokenisation.
- We create flexibility and transform how energy is transacted, used, managed and traded by network operators, utilities, businesses and individuals alike.
- We dynamically track, optimise and balance energy transactions in real-time, and at any scale from Smart MicroGrids to national grids.
What inspired the business to develop the Digital Energy Platform?
- The need for energy sector solutions that integrate and realise democratisation, decentralisation, digitalisation and decarbonisation in response to the climate emergency.
- Empowered friends, colleagues and collaborators for many years based in the South East of England and UK with combined expertise for delivering solutions for the energy crisis.
- Recognition of the need to bring together deep industry knowledge and experience in innovation, engineering, energy and software.
- Common goals: development of Sustainable Business Frameworks that generate profit.
- Using business as a force for good.
How can Power Transition shake up the energy market?
- Power Transition is technology agnostic and works in parallel with existing platform providers to generate new revenue opportunities through creating access to secure, encrypted and immutable data.
- We provide a common language for energy transactions and trading that enables millions of buildings, vehicles and devices to become vital parts of the energy system.
- Our platform is demonstrated. Commercial applications in development are ready for Beta testing with commercial pilots in progress. Our Digital Energy Platform (DEP) is highly scalable from Electric Vehicles to national-scale infrastructure.
- We facilitate the rapid increase and uptake of renewable energy and storage, generating new income streams for the energy sector.
What is iMaaS?
- iMaaS (integrated Microgrid as a Service) is a platform for residential and commercial Smart MicroGrids and enables behind the meter Peer-to-Peer energy trading within a community.
- Application-specific decentralised applications (dApps) can be quickly developed and ‘plugged’ into the base platform to respond to specific user/stakeholder needs.
- Trusted exchanges can be made between peers with or without the intervention of a third party, managed in the cloud via the Power Transition dashboard.
How can users of iMaaS benefit and how much can they save?
- Cost savings are typically 20-30% of customers' energy bills through optimisation.
- Sites can expect greater savings and this depends on the assets deployed, optimisation available and flexibility income generated.
- Energy management is made easy and informed decisions can be made quickly with or without human input, via AI and automation.
- Real-time carbon footprint information is integral to our solution.
What is EVOS?
- Electric Vehicle Operating System (EVOS) is a solution for EV charging management specifically to address issues around complexity, reliability and price volatility of EV charging infrastructure. EVOS is an all-in-one solution to manage your EV charging hub, decrease running costs, offer better pricing for your customers and provide carbon and sustainability reporting.
- A platform for EV fleet operators and charging infrastructure providers via a single point of billing, data collection and validation. Built into the platform is the capability to optimise centralised battery storage, ensuring energy from locally generated clean energy is prioritised and any top-up required is sourced at the cheapest, cleanest time.
- Our platform integrates with all site’s assets: EV charging, on-site renewable energy and storage to model and optimise the energy usage and energy cost profile.
- EVOS is a digitalisation layer to optimise and connect charging infrastructure to the wider energy network.
What is the EVOS product and service offering?
- EV charging hub energy management and system optimisation
- Vehicle operator carbon/mileage tracking solution
- EV network renewable energy aggregation and automated energy brokerage service
- Information record keeping, auditing and reporting
- Consolidated billing and customer dashboard
When can sites use the Smart Microgrid?
- Large campus sites, Power Transition’s focus require surveying buildings, supply and connection agreements with a business case developed to mitigate against rising energy prices.
- With the infrastructure installed within the site, energy optimisation and trading and flexibility is possible.
- This can be performed automatically, with the microgrid optimising the site and performing energy trading and flexibility services.
- Currently, this can only occur behind the meter and where private wire infrastructure is in place.
Who else will benefit from Power Transition’s Digital Energy Platform?
Primary beneficiaries and our current focus are:
- Commercial and industrial campus sites
- EV infrastructure and car leasing companies
Further development of our platform will support:
- Residential households
- Local councils and boroughs
What problems can Power Transition solve for its customers?
- We identify opportunities for battery storage, sizing and asset optimisation to support additional revenue streams for asset owners.
- Increase the granularity and accuracy of data aggregation and forecasting to support balancing mechanism services through voltage and dynamic frequency response.
- Enables real-time data analysis and automated balancing actions.
- Maintains reactive power by tapping into existing DER generation connected to the network.
- Identifies flexibility and reduces cost via a secure data record for embedded generation.
- Reduces infrastructure and connection costs through avoidance of constrained access arrangements.
- Planning gain, infrastructure cost reduction and opportunities for new business models behind the meter for developers.
- Provides secure, encrypted, auditable and standardised, more granular data improving forecasting and decision-making for aggregators.
- Produces independent and real-time availability of consumption data through automation of reporting for suppliers.
- Verifies the origin of a clean energy supply.
- Significantly reduces site cost and carbon.
Does current regulation allow for the transfer of energy to another location?
- Multiple commercial campus sites can be aggregated to be presented to the market as a Virtual Power Plant (VPP) and generate income through flexibility.
- As long as there is a utility connection between two places and a means to monitor via metering, we are able to tokenise and trace the unit of energy along its journey.
- We also attribute system losses and service costs as the unit of energy travels throughout its lifecycle.
- Current legislation does not allow for peer-to-peer energy trading for residential properties unless it's private wire (behind the meter), as demonstrated at our pilot project in Corby, or under a sleeving arrangement with the network operator. However, theoretically, there are no geographical limits.